Sunday, April 27, 2008

Reflection on Creating My Website

Like some of you, I was a little apprehensive at the beginning of the semester when I realized we had to create a website as part of the requirements for this class. While it is true that I have been maintaining the content of the English Department’s website for a couple of semesters, I had nothing to do with its creation. In fact, when Dr. Tillery (the professor who designed the website) asked me to take on the responsibility for updating the content last semester, I had never even used Dreamweaver or any other software to work on a website. I can only say that I have come far from where I began, and I hope to learn more about website design in the future. That’s why I’ve attended several TLC workshops already; I recommend these workshops to anyone!

So, for this class, I decided to use what I had learned in Dreamweaver to build a website that would highlight my experience and skills for prospective employers. Since I don’t intend to be a full-time teacher, I didn’t want to spend a lot of time on teaching philosophies, etc. Instead, I wanted to use the space for a fairly clean presentation of information that would give employers insight into my professional and academic background. I hope that I have achieved my goal. You can see my efforts at http://complabs.nevada.edu/~garci296 (or use the link at the top of this blog site).

1 comment:

Dr. Jablonski said...

This website looks good. It's design is a on the basic site. If you had the inclination, you might look for more "professional-looking" template designs you might adapt. I'd say the font size could be reduced for online readability and less scrolling. You might increase the banner size on the homepage, more similar to banner sizes on subpages.

Your reflection is adequate. You could have done more in terms of your approach/goals, more on use of tools (Dreamweaver), how your experiences relate to in-class readings. However, we did discuss your example in class a lot.